Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Getting ready for Hawaii

A noontime scene from the Philippines on a day...Image via Wikipedia
Hopefully this is what I can expect at my Hawaiian destination.
I'm getting myself and photo gear for our upcoming trip to Hawaii. Before I start thinking about anything like lenses I'm going to solve the humidity problem.

Last time I ventured to a tropical island my lenses fogged and I couldn't use the camera for hours. This time I plan to come prepared with a cool little cleaning cloth that's supposed to get rid of the foggy lens and allow me to shoot right away.
Nikon 8073 Fog Eliminator- 3 Pack

The product is called "Fog Eliminator". Even though the product is distributed by Nikon, the cloth will work on glass from any manufacturer. I have no idea what makes this cloth so special, but I'm willing to give it a try. I heard about the cloth by listening to This Week in Photography and thought it was worth the $8 to see if it works. From what I've read you simply wipe the cloth on the lens and you're good for a couple of hours. I'm not sure if anything can be done if there is condensation on the inside of the lens, I think this is where the pro-grade lenses with weather sealing become more useful.

I think what I'll do is simply get a bag of rice and place my lenses in it, then let the bag sit outside for a while to acclimate to the new surroundings.. I know I'll be anxious to snap some photos when we land so I'll have to exercise some patience in the first few moments.



*I just remembered the last time I returned from Hawaii at 5am a few years ago. We were returning from Kauai and I had to place my keys in the little tray when walking through the metal detector. The problem was I forgot to pick my keys back up. When we touched down after a 5 hour flight I searched everywhere for my keys but couldn't find them. I finally called back to Kauai and was able to locate the keys back on the island.  It was early morning in a dirty terminal, with a 1-year old, an angry wife, and my parents shaking their heads. I think I was fortunate enough to find a hidden spare to make it home. From there I was able to break into my house and use a spare set of keys until the other set arrived in the mail. Needless to say I will be far more careful with my keys this trip.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment