Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Mozy - The Sexy Backup


Image representing Mozy as depicted in CrunchBaseImage via CrunchBase
That's right, I called Mozy sexy. Well maybe not sexy, but it is pretty cool. I subscribe to this service because I'm afraid of losing my important data (douments, photos, and videos of the kids). Mozy is a cloud based service that allows you to upload your data to their servers, then saving it in case your computer crashes and loses the data. If this ever happened I would simply acces Mozy online from my repaired computer (or hopefully a new one) and download all my data from the compromised hard drive.

I checked into a few cloud based backup services and decided on Mozy for a few reasons:

1) All you do is install a small program and Mozy automatically manages your backing up for you. You no longer have to thik about backing up your files again, Mozy takes care of it for you according to your settings. I have it set to the default of backing up every 3 days.

2) $5 per month, that's cheap.

3) You can choose a local back up drive in addition to the cloud service. I purchased an external hard drive a few weeks ago and click a button for Mozy to add a copy of all the back up files to the new drive. Restoring from a local back up drive will take a couple of hours while the online restore will take several days. It's nico have both options in case of a fire or theft I can rely on the online files. This is one reason I chose Mozy over Carbonite.

4) Untimited data, even if you have an external hard drive. I back up my computers hard drive including an external drive I use for photos and videos. Mozy copies the files from all my drives. This is the scond reason I chose Mozy over Carbonite.

So far I couldn't be happier with Mozy. The ultimate test will be if I ever have to restore some files. I hope I never have to get to that point, but it's nice to know I'm preparing for the worst.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment