Pages

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Shopping For That Perfect Cell Phone

Personal Handy-phone System mobiles and modems...Image via Wikipedia
After returning my iPod touch I learned my main issue was lack of connectivity. Since Wifi was my only connection option was limited to my house whereas I might as well be on my computer to surf and publish content.

I know I could have upgraded to an iPhone to gain 3G connectivity and maintain the same platform (however unlocking the iPod touch every few minutes was very annoying), I realize I'm way too cheap to pay for a $30 data plan plus voice. I know I don't have to spend that much on data, but if I'm going to buy such a phone I better make sure I have the capacity to use it's features.

Now I'm taking a close look at what I want to use a mobile phone for, what specific use cases do I want the phone to accomplish? Here is a short list:

1) Checking email - I know this is a common use, but I am annoyed the way my current phone handles this task. I have to dig through three different menus and ok the sending of personal data before I can refresh the email screen. I want a shortcut button that takes one or two seconds to access the email.

2) Landscape QUERTY keyboard. My current phone has a portrait QUERTY keyboard which is too small for my thumbs and annoying to type on, the only way I'm going to get any typing done is on a wider landscape keyboard.

3) Works with Google Sync - I use lots of Google products including Gmail. Google sync allows me to synchronize my online contacts and calendar with my phone. The problem is not all phones allow this functionality with Google, that means I have to dig through the online manuals for each phone to find out if it will synchronize.

4) Twitter, Youtube, and Facebook - I want to be able to post photos and videos to Twitter, Facebook and Youtube with one or two clicks. Currently I have to dive through menus to accomplish this, I know the smart phones have quick apps for this, but again I don't want to pay those high data plan rates.

5) A $15 dollar unlimited phone plan - This is the big limiting factor. This means I am searching for a feature phone, the trick is to find the right feature phone that meets these requests.

Am I dreaming? Do I want too much? I don't think so. My current phone will already do most of these things, but I need it to be much more streamlined in order for me to make use of it. Later today I plan to walking into the local AT&T store to test out some phones, I'll be sure to report back with my findings.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment: