Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

I so want the new iPhone, but...

I checked the Apple website as soon as I could to learn about the new iPhone. It turned out to be everything I wanted and more. For me the kicker was the ability to shoot HD video and edit it all inside the handset. That's more than my laptop will do! I immediately called my wife and told the news and that I was reserving my iPhone as soon as possible.

She asked me, "How much is this new phone?"

"It's not about the price, it's about the cool functionality." I answered.

"How much? It has to be a couple hundred dollars."

"Just under $500, $499 to be exact." That's because I'm not due for an upgrade for another year.

"There is no way you're spending that much on a phone when your Flip camera will also shoot that HD video, and you have a phone too".

She had a point. I guess I'm willing to spend the money on something I want instead of something I need. But I blame Steve Jobs, the guy is such a great salesman. I was watching him at the interview from D8 and he had me sold with his conviction of values shared on stage with Walt Mossberg. I bought into the whole Adobe Flash thing and emerging technologies and was ready to throw down my money, until my wife brought reason into the equation.

Now I'm willing to wait until I have the extra money lying around. Maybe I'll create an online revenue stream that will generate the money needed to buy the phone, I could always add some worthy article to eHow for some extra cash.

At any rate I feel I'm back to my senses and feel more rational about purchasing a $500 phone, plus a $15 per month data plan. For the immediate future continue to shoot video with my Flip and Canon 7D and take calls on my clunky LG Neon. While it's true the iPhone would make it easier to communicate and share photos and video, I simply can't find a real reason to make the dive just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment