Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Having a blast with my 7D

I spent quite a bit of time researching which camera would be best for my needs, the 5D Mark II or the 7D. In the end it was the 7D for several reasons:
1) Cost. The 7D costs much less, allowing me to invest in lenses, filters, and other accessories to improve my photography.
2) Video. The 7D allows multiple frame rates and lots of other goodies that make it great for video work. The advantage of having more lenses come into play as I can create different looks with different focal lengths and apertures.
3) Speedlite control. This camera works amazingly well with my Canon Speedlites. The pop-up flash communicates wirelessly with the flash units to create a seamless and easy remote flash experience.
One of the big advantages I found with the 5D is the increased depth of field. To compensate for this on the 7D I purchased the 50mm 1.4 lens which allows me as tight of a DOF as I'll ever need. I also purchased a Canon 10-22mm lens to compensate for the 1.6 crop factor. This lens allows me to capture large landscapes as well as shots in tight spaces. I realize the 10 mm shots will create barrel distortion, but I just fix that in post processing.
</object>
I took this photo this morning with my 10-22mm lens. I was constantly looking behind me to make sure I didn't get hit by a car.


1 comment: