Pages

Monday, February 1, 2010

It's like Christmas all over again

I ordered a SanDisk Extreme 16 GB capture card from Amazon the other day. I was shocked to see it in the mail so quickly. ABX ProTECH was the vendor who filled and shipped the order.

The first order of business was to pop this card into my Canon Rebel XT. I know this card is overkill for a camera like the Rebel, but I thought I'd check out the specs along with a quick burst run.

At the highest jpeg resolution I could take 999 photos. Seriously, 999? Why couldn't I just have one more photo?

At the Raw setting I was able to fit 947 photos. That's crazy. I would have to shoot with lots of burst sessions to even make a dent on this card. Which brings me to burst mode. With my old SanDisk card I could only shoot 6 photos in burst mode before the camera had to catch up. With the new Extreme card I can shoot 20 photos in burst mode before I see a lag. This is due to the difference in write speeds. The old card wrote information at 15mbps while the new card writes at 60mbps, now that's extreme.

You may ask, "Why would anyone buy such a ridiculous card for an old Rebel?" The answer is simple. I didn't buy the card for my Rebel, I bought it for another camera I plan to own in the next couple of days.

At this point I'm going to pull an Apple move and not tell anyone which camera it is until I present the unboxing in the next couple of days. But I'll give you a hint, it's black.

Posted via email from Geek Dad Lab

2 comments:

  1. 999 is the limit that your camera would show, that's why. You can take many more jpegs with that card...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. The display will only show 3 digits so it can only give 999 as a number of remaining shots until a lower number is available.

    ReplyDelete