Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Is Google's Nexus One the iPhone Killer?

I really have no need for a smart phone right now. It's actually nice to have a break from a computer and get out once in a while. At the same time I am very curious about the Nexus One since I've heard Leo Laporte talk about it so much. The idea that Google made a phone that works seamlessly with its own services sounds great to me, but these benefits don't outweigh the cost for me. The idea of spending $529 for a device (there is no way I'm signing a two-year contract) plus over $70/month for data and voice is too much of a commitment for me.

What I'm holding out for is the day Google produces it's ad supported phone. I'd gladly look at ads for a free phone and free data/voice use. Google is inching itself closer to this plateau by independently developing the pieces: Google Talk, Nexus One, and the Android mobile operating system. Once they figure out a method for delivering free mobile Internet access, it's game over for another industry.

In the meantime I'll just dream about having cool devices like the Nexus One. Here is a video of a comparison between these two smart phone giants.

Posted via email from Geek Dad Lab

No comments:

Post a Comment