Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My wife doesn't know it, but she's on Google Voice.

I am constantly on the search for my wife. I never know if she's at home or on the road. Luckily Google created a great product called Google Voice. Right now it's available only by invite, but the wait is only a few days now. What Google Voice does is give you one phone number for all your locations. Now when I call my wife's Google Voice number it rings at home and her cell at the same time. Pretty handy huh? If she doesn't pick up I am greeted by a standard voicemail message to leave her a voice message. The message is immediately transcribed and dropped into her email (which she checks constantly).

All of this is happening without my wife's knowledge. According to her nothing has changed. Her old mobile number still works and she can still check her old voicemail as she usually does, but now I have the ability to get a hold of her a little easier thanks to Google.

Of course there are lots of other great features provided by Google Voice, and of course it's all free. You can request an invite by clicking here.

I'm sure I'll eventually tell her about her new phone number, but first I'll let her wonder why she's getting transcribed emails of all my voice messages.

Posted via email from Geek Dad Lab

No comments:

Post a Comment